Today’s Challenge: Be Still and Listen
Right now I am sitting beside an open window listen to the
sound of slowly running water outside--a neighbor’s pool has water refilling
it, but I can imagine a quiet stream outside my window. There are several birds
chirping outside, some talking to each other and some just calling out to the
world alone. My children are quietly working on schoolwork--I can hear the
sound of the pencils moving across papers and I can hear the rustle of turning
pages. Now, as I type, the sound of my fingers hitting the keys adds to the
melody of the morning.
Some days I like to go to a crowded park or business area
and listen. I take a book and pretend to be occupied. I listen to shoes moving
past on pavement. I listen to people humming along with their iPods. I listen to
people bustling past talking about their joys, their sorrows or their plans for
the day. I don’t eavesdrop on entire conversations, but I like to pick up on
the rhythm of life moving past me.
Take 30 minutes one day this week to stop and listen. Don’t add
to the conversation or noise during those 30 minutes if possible. If you can, choose
two settings and compare the differences. Choose a quiet area and listen to
nature, then choose a crowded area and listen to human nature.
Write about what you hear--either in your journal or blog or
in a short story or poem. Capture how you felt or if your mood changed. I enjoy
times when I can be still and listen. I usually learn a lot about myself and
about life.
Comments